21 hours (usually 3 days including breaks)
All attendees should be experienced technical staff with a background in web application operations and, preferably, development.
Amazon EC2 servers will be provided students for installation, administration and lab work. Students would need an SSH client and a browser to access the cluster.
Zero Install : There is no need to install Solr software on students’ machines! (although it is possible)
This course introduces students to the Solr platform. Through a combination of lecture, discussion and labs students will gain hands on experience configuring effective search and indexing.
The class begins with basic Solr installation and configuration then teaches the attendees the search features of Solr. Students will gain experience with faceting, indexing and search relevance among other features central to the Solr platform. The course wraps up with a number of advanced topics including spell checking, suggestions, Multicore and SolrCloud.
Duration: 3 days
Audience: Developers, business users, administrators
Provide experienced web developers and technical staff with a comprehensive introduction to the Solr search platform. Teach software developer deep skills creating search solutions.
- Solr Overview
- Installing and running Solr
- Adding content to Solr
- Reading a Solr XML response
- Changing parameters in the URL
- Using the browse interface
- Labs: install Solr, run queries
- Sorting results
- Query parsers
- More queries
- Hardwiring request parameters
- Adding fields to default search
- Result grouping
- Labs: advanced queries, experiment with faceted search
- Adding your own content to Solr
- Deleting data from solr
- Building a bookstore search
- Adding book data
- Exploring the book data
- Dedupe update processor
- Labs: indexing various document collections
IV. Schema Updating
- Adding fields to the schema
- Analyzing text
- Labs: customize Solr schema
- Field weighting
- Phrase queries
- Function queries
- Fuzzier search
- Labs: implementing queries for relevance
VI. Extended features
- Spell checking
- Labs: implementing spell checking and suggestions
- Adding more kinds of data
- Labs: creating and administering cores
- How SolrCloud works
- Commit strategies
- Managing Solr config files
- Labs: administer SolrCloud
IX. Developing with Solr API
- Talking to Solr through REST
- Indexing and searching
- Solr and Spring
- Labs: code to read and write Solr index, exercise in Spring with Solr
X. Developing with Lucene API
- Building a Lucene index
- Searching, viewing, debugging
- Extracting text with Tika
- Scaling Lucene indices on clusters
- Lucene performance tuning
- Labs: coding with Lucene
- Other approaches to search
- DataStax Enterprise: Solr+Cassandra
- Cloudera Solr integration
- Future directions
The lectures were fine.
He is provided great example for each topic.
I got an overview of Sold and resources to look for.
United States Patent & Trademark Office / USPTO
His real like experience with the subject is amazing
It was broad, it was precise and nicely explained
Wojciech Drzewiecki - SAP
Industry problems and solutions. Practice knowledge.
Wojciech Walczyszyn - SAP
Knowledgeful trainer, able to answer all of our questions, and having practical project knowledge - not only theory.
very to the point and hands on. No "powerpoint-training" but real scenarios and demos
Michael Sperber - WUR/ Computrain
viewer and competence of the lecturer.
Arkadiusz Dąbkowski - Agora SA
Query exercises and the opportunity to discuss your own issues that could be solved in Solr.