21 hours (usually 3 days including breaks)
- Familiarity with Elasticsearch and Kibana
- Experience in software development
OpenSearch (successor of Elasticsearch) is an open source software for search and analytics. It provides an easy-to-use visualization tool, OpenSearch Dashboards, for real-time data monitoring and reporting.
This instructor-led, live training (online or onsite) is aimed at developers and administrators who wish to use OpenSearch to perform distributed search and data analytics in a unified and secure system.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Set up the necessary development environment to start building search and analytics solutions with OpenSearch and OpenSearch Dashboards.
- Understand the three approaches (snapshot, restart, and rolling) in upgrading from Elasticsearch OSS to OpenSearch.
- Learn how to index data, create data streams, run queries, and streamline cross-cluster operations in OpenSearch.
- Explore and use plugins, APIs, clients, and ingestion tools (Beats, Logstash, Grafana, etc.) to optimize search experience while keeping clusters secure.
- Use OpenSearch Dashboards to centralize data management, visualization, logging, monitoring, and maintenance.
Format of the Course
- Interactive lecture and discussion.
- Lots of exercises and practice.
- Hands-on implementation in a live-lab environment.
Course Customization Options
- To request a customized training for this course, please contact us to arrange.
- OpenSearch vs Elasticsearch vs Solr
- Overview of OpenSearch features and architecture
- Setting up OpenSearch and OpenSearch Dashboards
- Upgrading from Elasticsearch OSS to OpenSearch
- Creating and configuring an OpenSearch cluster
- Sending a request to the index API
- Reading or retrieving data
- Updating and deleting data
- Creating index aliases
- Adding or removing indices
- Managing aliases
- Specifying index alias options
- Creating a template
- Reindexing data
Adding a Data Stream
- Creating an index template
- Creating a data stream
- Ingesting data into the data stream
- Searching a data stream
- Creating a backing index (rollover)
- Managing data streams
Searching and Aggregating Data
- Metric, bucket, and pipeline aggregations
- Using the query DSL (term-level, full-text, and boolean queries)
- Creating and managing search templates
- Exploring advanced search features
Working with APIs
- Supported parameters for REST operations
- Sample requests for OpenSearch operations
- Exploring OpenSearch APIs
Using OpenSearch Dashboards
- Configuring WMS map server
- Creating a Gantt chart
- Generating on-demand reports
- Using OpenSearch Notebooks
- Setting up the security plugin
- Configuring authentication and authorization
- Configuring YAML files
- Generating certificates (TLS and CA)
- Managing system indices
- Using Active Directory and LDAP
- Implementing SAML an OpenID connect
- Enabling proxy authentication
- Obtaining client certificates
- Configuring access controls
- Enabling audit logging
Managing OpenSearch Plugins
- Using search plugins (SQL, PPL, k-NN, and Asynchronous search)
- Automating index management with IM plugins
- Replicating cross-cluster indices using plugins
- Alerting security and anomaly detection
- Using trace analytics and performance analyzer
Integrating Clients and Tools
- Managing tasks using OpenSearch CLI
- Interacting with OpenSearch clusters using Java
- Working with agents and ingestion tools (Beats, Logstash, Grafana, etc.)
Troubleshooting and Maintenance
Summary and Next Steps