35 hours (usually 5 days including breaks)
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with the Linux command line
- Experience with basic UNIX shell programming
- Database administrators
- Systems administrators
- Developers with database experience
PostgreSQL (or Postgres) is one of the most popular open-source relational databases.
In this instructor-led, live training (onsite or remote), participants will learn the general and advanced aspects of PostgreSQL, including administration, performance turning, advanced development, and replication as they step through a series of hands-on, live-lab exercises involving setup, configuration, testing, deployment and troubleshooting.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Use advanced administration techniques to configure and manage a PostgreSQL server.
- Optimize the database and queries for maximum performance.
- Replicate and scale a PostgreSQL server.
Format of the Course
- Part lecture, part discussion, exercises and heavy hands-on practice
- This course is based PostreSQL 9 but can be adapted for a different version.
- To request a customized training for this course, please contact us to arrange.
PostgresSQL Setup and Configuration
Overview of PostgreSQL Architecture and Advanced Features
- Connecting to the Database
- Overview of PgAdmin III
- Configuring the Server
- Setting up and Managing Users
- Overview of Database Object Types
- Setting Permissions & Security
- Querying the Database
- Monitoring the Database
- Ensuring Atomicity and Isolation
- Backing up and Restoring PostreSQL
- Migrating Data to Another System
- Working with PostreSQL Logs
- Reducing I/O with HOT
- Locking & Concurrency
- Evaluating the Design of the Database
- Optimizing SQL Queries with EXPLAIN
- Inspecting the Workload
- Benchmarking and Profiling
- Optimzing Joins
- Using Indexes Efficiently
- Overview of PostgreSQL Replication
- High Availability in PostgreSQL
- Streaming Replication
- Managing Clusters Using repmgr
- Running Queries on Database in Hot Standby
- Synchronous Replication
- File based Log Shipping
- Trigger-based Logical Replication with Slony & Londiste
- Connection Pooling
- Upgrading PostgreSQL
- Sharding and Scaling PostgreSQL
Summary and Conclusion
There was a good amount of practical exercises which helped cement the learning and kept us engaged throughout.
Samuel Reeve - Capita Business Services Ltd
new knowledges that can be apply in our system
Laurence Bangsal - PayMaya Philippines, Inc.
the additional and extensive postgres knowledge we attained
PayMaya Philippines, Inc.
the learnings, because of the exercises given per topic it help us to apply and understand more the concepts.
PayMaya Philippines, Inc.